One of my most favorite culinary things is the melding of sweet and savory. I love finding new ways to mix up traditional flavors while finding a way to meld the two worlds. I’ve seen a lot of recipes for bacon-wrapped dates and as much as I love bacon, I love the way that Prosciutto crisps up in the oven without the extra grease of bacon. I wanted the dates to stay soft while the Prosciutto crisped up around the warm goat cheese, and the walnut in the center lends a perfect crunch.
These are super-easy but look and taste like a fancy appetizer. I based the recipe on 20 dates, but you can make as many as you want. I also got the large slices of Prosciutto from our deli and just sliced it into strips. A whole walnut is too large for the date so I used walnut pieces. If you use whole walnuts, you may want to break them in half.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Dates Stuffed With Goat Cheese and Walnuts
What you need:
- 20 pitted dates
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 10 walnuts (optional)
- 5 large sliced of Prosciutto, cut into strips
What you do:
- Slice the dates with a paring knife along one edge and pry open. (See photo below)
- Stuff a little goat cheese inside, then add the walnut, then add a little more goat cheese.
- Wrap with the strip of Prosciutto and place with the end down on a foiled cookie sheet.
- Cook at 350 for 15 minutes until the Prosciutto is nice and crispy.