The other day at the farmer’s market, we came across these 8-ball squashes, a zucchini hybrid. It sat in the fridge for few days before I could figure out what to do with it. It ended u being firmer and sweeter than a regular zucchini and I really liked it. It retained it’s crunch and crispness even after being cooked and reheated!
I also had a pound of bison defrosted and a spaghetti squash. So I figured we’d go all squash cah-rah-zee up in this hizzy!
Primal Spaghetti with Bison Zucchini Meat Sauce Recipe
What you need:
- 1 lb ground bison (or any other ground meat)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/2 8-ball squash (zucchini will work fine), peeled and diced into small chunks
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan
- fresh herbs – oregano, parsley, basil. I used about 1 tsp each, finely diced.
- 1 spaghetti squash
What you do:
- In one pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion, garlic, spices, salt, and squash. Saute on medium-low until onions are translucent, stirring often.
- In another pan, brown meat with a little bit of olive oil.
- When the meat is browned and the onions and squash mostly translucent, combine.
- Add in diced tomatoes and honey.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste for sweetness/flavor and adjust as necessary
- For the “spaghetti,” cut a spaghetti squash in half, scoop the seeds, and microwave each half for 5-7 minutes.
- Use a fork to pull the “spaghetti” out/
- Pour meat sauce on top, top with fresh grated Parmesan.