Maybe it’s the kid in me but I love me some chicken nuggets. I make them often and then freeze them on a tray and bag the extras so we can avoid the commercial processed frozen nuggets in the store. I used to use breadcrumbs or whatever leftover crushed crackers I could find.
But now I had to come up with a new coating in order to make them stay as crunchy and crispy as I like and still taste good. So I futzed around and found a nice mixture that works well. And instead of a beaten egg coating, I use a mixture of mayonnaise, honey, and mustard. Mayonnaise is basically eggs and vinegar and I find that the nice thick coating makes an excellent “glue” for the breading and makes the nuggets extra crispy and delicious!
If you don’t use mayo, feel free to just use a beaten egg wash.
Primal Chicken Nuggets
What you need:
- 3-4 chicken breasts, diced into chunks
- 1/2 c. mayo
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard
- 1/3 c. sesame seeds (optional but I LOVE the crunch!)
- 3/4 c. almond flour
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
What you do:
- Mix the mayo, mustard, and honey in a bowl and put in the chicken chunks and coat.
- Mix the breading ingredients on a large plate
- Remove the nuggets from the mayo mix and roll in breading
- Lay on foiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for approx 30-40 minutes (time varies depending on size of nuggets) until brown, crispy, and cooked through.
Optional honey mustard dipping sauce:
1/4 c. mayo
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp honey