A friend of mine recently lamented that he missed lemon poppy seed muffins since going Paleo and then demanded I come up with a recipe for them. Most people do that, actually. But it’s a good thing because it keeps me on my toes always trying new things.
While I didn’t make muffins exactly, I decided to make little biscuits instead. Cakier than a cookie, flatter than a muffin, moister than a scone, these are just kind of awesomeness in their own right. Charlotte told me that they were perfect with her night-night tea and I had to agree.
Recipe: Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Tea Biscuits
- 1.5 c. almond flour, sifted (I use Honeyville Farms)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp. melted grass-fed butter (ghee or coconut oil will work)
- 6 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. poppyseeds
- Mix almond flour, poppyseeds, and baking soda in one bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg white and slowly add melted butter, vanilla, lemon, and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into approximately 12 cookies on parchment paper (yes, this makes a huge difference).
- Bake at 300 for 12-13 minutes depending on the size you made your biscuit. Keep an eye out!