There’s a commercial brand of Berry Balsamic dressing that’s awesome and all-natural. I absolutely love it on greens, especially with some goat cheese and walnuts. It’s also amazing on roasted beets. The ingredients, though none artificial or gross, do contain sugar. And while I’m okay with a small amount of it normally in things where it’s necessary, for the sake of the last eight weeks and my Look Better Naked Challenge, I decided to try and re-create it without sugar.
It came out awesome and very close to the original and made with whole natural ingredients. And way, way, WAY cheaper than the store-bought one (although I do have give credit to the store-bought one for using decent ingredients.)
NOTE: Vinegar improves insulin sensitivity to a high-carbohydrate meal. Vinegar is an important part of every type 2 diabetic’s diet.
Recipe: Berry Balsamic Salad Dressing
- 2 c. berries (I used frozen)
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. arrowroot
- Add all ingredients except arrowroot to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower to simmer, sprinkle arrowroot over the top and stir in (prevents clumps)
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes until reduced by about 1/4.
- Blend using an immersion blender or pour into regular blender.