I have like five other recipes to post all lined up, but on a whim and because Mike was having a bad day, I decided to try and make him banana bread. Again. I say “again” because I’ve tried at least 3 or 4 times to make a totally grain-free banana bread before and Ive never gotten it right: too dry, too mealy, too wet, not sweet enough. But this time, I got it! It’s moist but not wet, sweet but not overpowering, light in texture but so flavorful. It was so good, I had to post it today! This just shouldn’t be kept secret!
I used chia seed meal because I am in love with these little seeds and the amazing nutritional and digestive qualities. Chia seed is available in the health food section of most stores or you can buy it here: Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds. Since I have a Vitamix, I just buy the seeds themselves and make my own meal. You can also use a coffee grinder for this.
The way to make this sweet without using a ton of sweetener is to let the fruit do the work for you. The more ripe a banana gets, the sweeter is it. So, I used two seriously funkadelic bananas and only needed a touch of honey to sweeten. If you just can’t wait and you’re using less funky bananas, up the honey a bit.
I made the batter first and then threw a few chocolate chips on top and mushed them in. I didn’t want to use too many and it worked out perfectly this way. Feel free to omit completely or use dairy-free chocolate chips to keep it dairy free.
Banana Coconut Bread (With Mini Chocolate Chips!)Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined-Sugar-Free
What you need:
- 3/4 c. coconut flour, sifted. (I use Aloha Nu Certified Organic Coconut Flour)
- 1/4 c. chia seed meal
- 1/4 c. shredded unsweetened coocnut
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking powder (make your own grain-free version here)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 2 large VERY ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/8 c. honey (or agave)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 c. Organic Coconut Oil
- handful of at least 70% cacao dark chocolate chips
What you do:
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs and add in the vanilla, honey, and mashed bananas.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and blend well.
- Pour into a 9X5 bread pan and top with dark chocolate chips if you want.
- Bake at 325 for 45-60 minutes. Yes, it takes a long time but it’s best to cook this kind of bread slow and low.