It’s not a big secret I like the spirits. What I don’t like is the boring sugar-laden drinks and the calories they bring. Another thing I don’t like is how Iowa doesn’t seem to get on board with the whole spring/summer thing with the rest of the free world. We still have our heat on and earlier in the week, we had ice in the morning. ICE. IN MAY. So I took my love of the martini and a hopeful approach for summer and created this fresh, light, and wonderfully clean-tasting martini.
I used local honey to sweeten and whole fruits. If you wanted to make this virgin, omit the liquor and substitute 1/2 orange juice and 1/2 water. I use Hendrick’s gin because it’s not the juniper-tasting gin. It’s pricey but a little goes a long way and it will last you a long time. If you don’t drink gin, just use your favorite vodka in place and add a little extra honey OR get a watermelon flavored vodka.
Cucumber Watermelon Skinny Martini
What you need:
- 1 c. cubed seedless watermelon
- 1/2 c. cucumber, cubed and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 oz Hendrick’s gin
- 1 oz top-shelf vodka
- 2 tsp honey or agave
- splash of orange juice
What you do:
- In a food processor or blender, blend the watermelon, cucumber, honey/agave, and OJ.
- Pour into shaker filled with ice and add liquor.
- Shake what your momma gave you.
- Using a strainer, pour into martini glass and garnish with cucumber and watermelon wedge.
Isn’t is just so pretty?!?!