Fall brings out the best in me and last weekend, I wanted some soup. Warm, rich, creamy cheesy soup. Now, I eat dairy and I know some of you don’t, so I guess you’ll have to skip this one. This recipe also makes A LOT of soup. I really don’t know how to cook in small amounts and stuff like this can feed a family for DAYS. Or freeze for those cold winter nights!
What you need:
- few bunches of fresh broccoli, stems and all
- 1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 onion, diced
- heads and hearts of one bunch celery (leafy bits and all), chopped
- 1 tbps each fresh parsley and thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 qts chicken stock
- 1-2 c. whole milk (add slow till you like the consistency)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
What you do:
- Melt butter in pot, add in onions, celery, garlic, parsley and thyme. Simmer on low until onions and celery are translucent.
- While this is cooking, remove the crowns from the fresh broccoli, cut into smaller pieces and put aside.
- Dice the stems and add to pot.
- Add in stock. As you can see mine was still frozen.
- Simmer for 30 mins
- Add in bag of frozen broccoli. (I say frozen because these will be pureed and the fresh crowns will not)
- Cook on low for 30 additional minutes.
- Add in sour cream, milk, and cheese.
- Use immersion blender to puree the contents of the pot.
- Add in fresh chopped broccoli crowns and simmer on low until the broccoli is soft.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.